Ozone is three molecules of oxygen, O3, instead of the usual way that oxygen exists in nature, which is O2. It was first discovered in 1786 and first synthesized in a German Lab in 1840. In 1873 it was discovered that when any micro-organism (viruses, bacteria, tuberculosis, diphtheria) were subjected to ozone gas, they were killed. In 1911, Dr. Noble Eberhart, head of the Department of Physiology of Loyola Chicago University used ozone to treat tuberculosis, anemia, pertussis, asthma, bronchitis, diabetes, gout and syphilis. In 1961 Dr. Hans Wolff developed the hemotherapy, the treatment of disease by the use of blood, techniques that we use in our office today. As you may remember from your high school biology class, most of the energy in your body, called ATP, is produced in the mitochondria of our cells, through a process called electron transport. Oxygen is the final electron receptor in this process. Therefore, if we can increase the oxygen content of the body, this process can occur more efficiently.
Aging and diseases of aging are caused primarily by decreased oxygen utilization. This decrease leads to the excessive free radical production that results in degenerative disease and is caused by multiple things. For example, too much sugar in the diet, heavy metal toxicity, or prescription drugs factors. Ozone therapy is effective for so many diseases including the affirmatives of aging. Remember, the better we utilize oxygen, preserve our mitochondria and buffer free radicals the slower our bodies’ age.
Ozone Therapy is recommended for many different things but medical professionals have seen the best results with:
- Heart Disease/Coronary Artery Disease, including reperfusion after heart attack
- Liver disease – Ozone therapy has a stimulatory effect on liver cell regeneration.
- Cancer – Ozone selectively increases the anti-oxidant enzyme activity in healthy cells, protecting them against the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation while decreasing the resistance to chemo.
- Induces anti-cancer cytokines: Tumor Necrosis Factor, Interferon, and Interleukin2
- It directly kills cancer cells
- May normalize “marginal” cancer cells by stimulating more ATP production by marginal cells making them more likely to heal
- May stimulate apoptosis.
- Macular degeneration
- Chronic infections including herpes, dental infections, and MRSA along with antibiotics.
Other places that he has seen it work, although not to as great as an extent as the above are:
- Claudication/peripheral vascular disease
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Fungal infections
- Ulcerative colitis, and various types of skin infection
Ozone therapy involves, obtaining intravenous access. After that, 60-250 ml of your blood is withdrawn from your IV and mixed with 250-300 ml of normal saline, then 60-250 ml of ozone is added to the bag until the blood brightens up to a crimson red. Once that is complete, the IV will drip this combination of blood and ozone with a treatment lasting 35-45 mins.